Happy Pancake Day! Pancakes are most definitely not a once-a-year event in my house. I love to experiment with different recipes and whip up a batch of pancakes for breakfast on a weekend. This year, I’ll be making Paleo Pancakes and I wanted to share the recipe with you.
Since completing the Whole30 in January, I’ve been trying to stick to a Paleo based diet which focuses on the foods our ancestors ate. Think lots of meat, fish, lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds. The Paleo diet eliminates grains, which includes the wheat flour typically used in traditional pancake recipes. These Paleo Pancakes use coconut flour instead and are gluten free, dairy free and grain free.
Coconut flour is high in fibre, particularly insoluble fibre which helps you feel full and aids good colon health. It is also higher in protein and healthy fats, medium-chain-triglycerides or MCTs which is said to help boost your metabolism.
This recipe creates an American style pancake which are thicker and perfect for stacking and topping. What you top them with is totally up to you. In fact, I’d love to hear what your favourite pancake toppings are, leave a comment and let me know! I’ve gone for a mix of frozen strawberries, fresh blueberries, desiccated coconut and maple syrup. I also love topping my pancakes with caramelised banana and a drizzle of almond butter – yum!
If you want to make these into Protein Pancakes, just add a scoop of vanilla vegan protein powder to the dry ingredients and increase the amount of coconut milk as needed. I recommend vegan protein powder to keep the pancakes Paleo-friendly, but if you have whey powder in your cupboard and you’re not fussed about Paleo then go ahead and use that. Waste not, want not!
Whichever way you choose to make these pancakes and whatever toppings you reach for, I hope you enjoy them! Tag me if you do make them and snap a pic.
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 4 eggs
- 3tbsp Coconut Oil (melted)
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk (not tinned)
- 1 tbsp Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- In one bowl whisk together the dry ingredients until combined. In another bowl whisk the wet ingredients together, ensuring they are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir together. Don't over mix as this will affect the fluffiness of the pancakes.
- Heat a frying pan or skillet over a medium heat.
- Add ¼ cup or 3tbsp of the mixture to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side until bubbles start to form, then flip onto the other side and cook until golden brown.
- Repeat until all of the mixture is cooked, then stack the pancakes.
- Serve warm and top with whatever your heart desires. I went for frozen strawberries, fresh blueberries, desiccated coconut and maple syrup.