[pipdig_padded_text]Hello lovelies! I haven’t made an appearance on the blog in so long and I’m so sorry for that. I’ve missed you. But what a week for me to return as it’s my birthday week! I’ve just turned 27 (1st November) and I thought it would be fun to reflect back on the year of 26 and set some goals for life as a 27 year old. As a play on the ’30 things to do before 30′ list, I’m setting myself 28 goals to do before my 28th birthday.[/pipdig_padded_text]
This past year I’ve managed to do quite a lot of ‘firsts’. I love that I can be in my mid-to-late twenties and still have new experiences and learn new things. The saying is true, you really do never stop learning. Some firsts are big and some are small but they’ve all played a part in making the year of 26 a great one. Here’s a look at some of the things I’ve got up to over the past year.
1. Celebrated my 26th birthday abroad
2. Spent a week sailing
3. Swam in the open sea (I can’t swim so this was a pretty big deal!)
4. Kayaked in the sea (with a life jacket on of course!)
5. Learnt how to use my DSLR camera
6. Came runner up as ‘Highly Commended’ fitness blogger in the Cosmopolitan Blogger Awards
7. Created and published The Lean Body Jumpstart eBook
8. Moved in with Michael
9. Went to the ballet and I’d love to go to more. Leave me recommendations in the comments.
10. Watched my friend perform her own poetry #proudfriendmoment
11. Was a bridesmaid #proudfriendmoment
12. Threw my Dad a birthday party
13. Stayed at a spa by myself, read how I got on here
14. Tried meditation
15. Went to a cooking class
16. Tried Hot Yoga
Overall it was a pretty fun year! Moving in with Michael and getting ‘Highly Commended’ at the Cosmo awards were definite highlights, but I loved all the little things too. There’s lots more I’d like to do, see and learn so I’m setting myself 28 goals to do before my 28th birthday. [/pipdig_padded_text]
Birthday goals: 28 before 28
1. Create a morning routine – I am hopeless in the mornings. I stay in bed until the very last second and always scramble to get everything together before running out the door. It’s an awful way to start the day so I want to create a morning routine that avoids the snoozing and lateness.
2. Complete my Happiness Planner – I want to write in my 100 Day Happiness Planner daily for the whole 100 days. I hope that by sorting out my morning routine I can set aside a bit of time to sit down with a cup of tea and fill it in, setting my intentions for the day.
3. Host a dinner party – Since moving into my flat I’ve wanted to host a dinner party. I’ve had the girls round for afternoon tea, but I’d love to get them round for a dinner party.
4. Take care of my body – I have some more specific goals on exactly how I’m going to do this, but my overall intention is to love it, nourish it and move it in ways that make me happy.
5. Clear out my wardrobe – This is something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time but keep postponing because it’s such a big task. I’m going to break it down into smaller tasks and tackle one section at a time, eg: my shoes, my workout clothes, my tops etc so that this year is the year I finally clear out my wardrobe.
6. Explore London – I really take London for granted and despite being born and raised here, there are still so many places I haven’t been to. I need to tick off a few more places this year!
7. Write a letter to my future self – I saw this on someone else’s list and thought it was a great idea. I’m not sure whether I’ll open it at my next birthday, or in 5 years time but I’m definitely going to write it.
8. Wake up to watch the sunrise – I’ve never woken up specifically to watch the sunrise, yet I absolutely love seeing the sun rise and set. Once I sort out my morning routine I’ll try this.
9. Complete a minimalism challenge – Aussie fitness blogger Rachel Aust has created this 60 days to minimal challenge and I’ve made a start. I’m not limiting myself to the 60 days, but I will finish it.
10. Watch mine & Michael’s film list – We wrote a list of films that we’d like to watch ages ago and I don’t think we’ve seen a single one since! It’s time to tackle that list.
11. Learn a dance routine – I love dancing but never do it. So this year I’m going to book myself into a dance class and learn a routine from start to finish.
12. Get to know my neighbours – It’s sad that in London it’s not uncommon to go our whole lives without knowing the people living next door. My area has a Facebook group so I need to utilise that and meet my neighbours!
13. Define my style – Once I’ve cleared out my wardrobe I want to overhaul my style. I’ve grown up buying ‘throwaway fashion’ but now I’m older I’ve realised the importance of buying fewer, quality items.
14. Transition my diet – I understand my body a lot better than I did at 25 and I know now that I need to transition to a lower carb, higher fat way of eating & limit my dairy intake
15. Get a facial – This is a slight cheat as I’ve got one booked for later this month, but I’ve wanted one for ages! I think it’s a real treat to get a facial so I can’t wait.
16. Build a buffer of a month’s salary – I want to build up my immediate savings so that I always have at least a month’s salary in my account, even in the week before payday.
17. Go to the zoo – This one is really for Michael, as he has never been to the zoo before! I know, I can’t believe it either. So my goal is to take him to the zoo when the weather is nice again.
18. Put pictures up in our flat – It’s shameful that we’ve lived in our flat a year and I haven’t fully decorated it yet. I’m nearly there, but I want to complete it with some lovely pictures from Desenio.
19. Redesign my blog – I changed my blog layout earlier this year, but it’s not quite how I want it yet so I’m going to work on a redesign.
20. Do something out of my comfort zone – I’m leaving this one open so that as the year goes on I can decide how, when and where I want to push myself out of my comfort zone.
21. Reach out to brands – I’ve always been so shy about approaching brands but this year I want to become more confident and put myself out there instead of waiting for opportunities to fall into my inbox
22. Create and release another product – I created and published The Lean Body Jumpstart eBook and am so proud of it. I really want to create more products to help you on your journey.
23. Create and release another freebie – My free meal and workout planner has been so popular and I love that it’s helped you get organised, so I want to create more free downloads and printables for you!
24. Surprise a friend with a gift – I just think this is so lovely. Imagine receiving a gift when you least expect it, for no apparent reason, just because. I already have ideas for this one.
25. Start a bullet journal – I’ve seen so many bloggers using bullet journals to get organised, simplify their lives and journal their gratitude so I’d love to try it out.
26. Dye my hair – I’ve never had my hair professionally coloured and I haven’t dyed it in about 5 years and I’m bored. This year is time to switch it up with a new style and colour!
27. Procrastinate less – I am the Queen of Procrastination. Literally. If I can put something off for an hour, ’til tomorrow, next week or next month I will. It’s terrible and needs to stop.
28. Travel – I’m not making this specific as I haven’t decided on my travel plans yet, but I will definitely go abroad somewhere at some point next year.
That’s it! I had fun putting those goals together and looking to the year ahead. I really tried to keep them quite simple so that I’m not setting my setting myself up for failure, because failure isn’t fun. But I tried to set goals that would add value to my life in some way, from sorting out my mornings to exploring my city to surprising a friend. I can’t wait for the year ahead!
I’d love to know what your goals are, share them with me in the comments below. I reply to every comment. Right, I’m off to enjoy some leftover birthday cake!